In a development that has heightened tensions in an already delicate area, the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) has officially acknowledged the deployment of an Ohio-class submarine within its designated operational zone. The Biden administration has not issued a formal statement on this matter as of now.
On November 5, 2023, an Ohio-class submarine arrived in the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility. pic.twitter.com/iDgUFp4enp
— U.S. Central Command (@CENTCOM) November 5, 2023
The designated operational region of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) encompasses 21 nations. These countries consist of Afghanistan, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Uzbekistan, and Yemen. CENTCOM’s area of responsibility extends from Northeast Africa through the Middle East to Central and South Asia, covering an expansive territory exceeding 4 million square miles.
The Ohio-class submarine is not an ordinary naval vessel; it belongs to a category of nuclear-powered submarines utilized by the United States Navy. These Ohio-class submarines hold the distinction of being the most substantial submarines ever constructed by the U.S. Navy. They measure 560 feet in length, are 42 feet wide, and have a displacement of 18,750 tons when submerged.
Furthermore, the Ohio-class submarine is equipped with nuclear weaponry. The 14 Ohio-class ballistic-missile submarines (SSBNs) collectively carry approximately half of the United States’ operational strategic thermonuclear warheads, capable of causing catastrophic destruction to a nation.
The Ohio-class submarine is a nuclear-powered vessel utilized by the United States Navy, serving multiple functions, which encompass:
1. **Strategic Deterrence:** The primary purpose of the Ohio-class submarine is to conduct prolonged strategic deterrence missions. The aim of strategic deterrence is to dissuade potential adversaries from initiating a nuclear attack.
2. **Ballistic Missile Submarine:** These submarines are equipped to carry twenty-four submarine-launched ballistic missiles, each with the capability to target and eliminate up to fourteen distinct objectives with remarkable precision, even when positioned thousands of miles away.
3. **Special Operations:** The Ohio-class submarine possesses the capacity to clandestinely deploy Special Operations Forces for specific missions.
4. **Intelligence Gathering:** These submarines are capable of conducting intelligence-gathering operations.
5. **Anti-Ship and Anti-Submarine Operations:** The Ohio-class submarine is proficient in engaging in anti-ship and anti-submarine activities, making it a versatile asset for naval operations.